This is defined as listening, talking, reading and writing. Pupils are also taught modern languages including French.
In developing literacy skills children will learn to:
- communicate and collaborate with others to build relationships
- reflect on and explain their thinking
- describe and share experiences
- engage with a range of texts
- write for a variety of reasons and compose stories, poems and plays
- explore the richness and diversity of language, how it can affect them and the wide range of ways in which they can be creative
- enrich and extend their vocabulary through, listening, talking, watching and reading
- reflect on how well they listen, talk, read and write
- act on feedback to help them improve and provide useful feedback to others
- take advantage of the opportunities offered by ICT.